Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Easy Chicken Pot Pie

This recipe was given to me at our wedding shower 6 years ago and I only gave it a try 2 weeks ago. It was a huge hit and Phil immediately asked me to put this dish in our regular rotation of meals. Now that was a first! The original recipe asked for some Fried Onion Rings on top but I tweaked the recipe by making biscuits instead. And next time, I am going to double this recipe (but not the biscuits) to have more substance and more left overs :)

2 Cups Chopped cooked chicken
2 carrots sliced
1/2 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup frozen corn
1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 chicken bouillon cube (mix it in water)

1 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp flour
salt & pepper
Nutmeg
1/4 cup milk

Cook carrots in chicken stock, add frozen peas and corn
Drain vegetables and keep stock for sauce
Sautee onions and mushrooms in butter
Add flour and whisk in the stock til smooth
Add salt and pepper to taste and a dash of nutmeg + 1/4 cup of milk

Place the chicken and vegetables in a casserole dish and pour the sauce on top
Bake at 350* for 20 minutes.
Take out of oven and add biscuit dough to the top and bake for another 20 minutes at 400* or until biscuits are golden on top.


During the 1st 20 minutes that the casserole was in the oven I had time to make my biscuit dough and then add it to the dish.


No comments: