Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Potato Leek Soup

We love this soup! My kids really like it and I am glad because it is really good for them. Leeks are full of folate, manganese, vitamin K & more. Now for this recipe, you will need a wand blender (aka immersion blender or stick blender). You could try it with a regular blender or food processor but I would imagine that it could be a more difficult process. So here is the recipe:

3 leeks
4 Tbsp butter (or 2 Tbsp butter & 2 Tbsp olive oil)
4 medium potatoes
6 cups chicken or turkey stock (homemade is best)
thyme (fresh: a few sprigs tied together. Dry: 1-2 teaspoons)
salt
pepper
1 cup sour cream or creme fraiche

Directions: Clean and chop leeks then sautée in butter & oil until soft. Add stock and bring to a boil. Add potatoes, thyme, salt & pepper and cook until potatoes are tender. Let it cool a bit. If you're using fresh thyme, remove the thyme. Using the wand blender, purée the soup. Add sour cream & blend once more until mixed in & a bit frothy. 


Tip: I make chicken stock whenever I cook a chicken, then I keep the stock in yogurt containers in the freezer. For this recipe, I use 2 yogurt containers. I try to remember to take out the frozen stock ahead of time, but if I forget, that's okay, this recipe can be made using frozen stock. It'll just take longer to bring to a boil. 

No comments: