Friday, June 25, 2010

Hot Rice Cereal


I found this recipe for Hot Rice Cereal on the old Hillbilly Housewife site a couple years ago and I used to make it regularly with our leftover rice. But I hadn't made this in about a year or so, so this morning I woke up early and made this (not that you have to wake up early to make it, but the hubby was working early today, so I got up so we could have breakfast together).

2 cups leftover cooked rice
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon margarine
1/4 cup dried fruit (raisins, craisins, apricot...)
dash salt
dash cinnamon

In a medium saucepan combine rice, milk, margarine & dried fruit. Stir over medium heat until heated through and margarine is melted. Simmer for a minute or two to thicken. Serve immediately while it is hot.

You can sprinkle some brown sugar and add milk. Just like you would eat oatmeal.

No comments: